Header Ads Widget

'G.I. Joe' commands box office with $56.2M debut; Streep's 'Julia' cooks up $20.1M opening

'G.I. Joe' Commands Box Office With $56.2M Debut

G.I. Joe is the latest toy to invade Hollywood and plant its blockbuster flag.

PHOTO 'G.I. Joe' commands box office with $56.2M debut; Streep's 'Julia' cooks up $20.1M opening
Inspired by the Hasbro action figure, Paramount's "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the... Expand
(Frank Masi/Paramount Pictures)

Inspired by the Hasbro action figure, Paramount's "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" took command of the weekend box office with a $56.2 million debut domestically, according to studio estimates Sunday. "G.I. Joe" also took in $44.3 million overseas for a worldwide total of $100.5 million.

Meryl Streep's Julia Child tale "Julie & Julia" opened a solid No. 2 as an alternative for adult crowds with $20.1 million. While "G.I. Joe" was the first choice for young males, women 35 and older were the main audience for "Julie & Julia."

"G.I. Joe" follows Paramount's "Transformers" franchise as the latest toy story to find success on the big screen.

Harsh reviews for "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" earlier this summer prompted Paramount to skip critic screenings for "G.I. Joe" and put the movie in theaters sight-unseen by most reviewers.


Source

Post a Comment

0 Comments